Our Story

How it all started...

Glad Tidings Church, previously First Assembly of God Church in Anderson, Indiana, held its first services some time during the summer of 1947. A small group of people started gathering at different friends’ homes to pray and study the Bible.

The first record of a routine schedule was found in the the Herald Bulletin (December 9, 1949 issue) where they met on the corner of 8th and Central Street. Early in 1952, property at the corner of 22nd and Lincoln Street was purchased for the site of a future church. In January 1955, our congregation moved to the new two-room building.

Expanding the vision...

In 1972, the mortgage of a 3 acre tract of property at 815 E. School Street was given to us by Lonnie Spears and Noel Stone, trustees of the church.  

Construction on the School Street building was completed in late August 1976, and the first service was held on Wednesday night, September 8, 1976. Early fall in 1981, the addition to the front of the church was started, with the dedication of the church expansion in November 1981.

Where we are headed...

In the last few years God has grown our ministry tremendously and we have needed a bigger facility. Most recently, in the Fall of 2019, we felt called to purchase the old North Anderson Church of God property from Madison Park. This building has much more available space and new features to accommodate our growing body. We know that this location has great opportunity for the future and what God has in store for our ministry. We were able to quickly sell the previous property on School Street which would have been very costly to maintain and renovate.

We invite you to be a part of our story...